We are often asked about The Fab Four. These are the most common questions;
- What breed are they? Cavapoos – a cross between a Poodle and Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
- Are they related? No – they are all the same breed and the same age, but they are not related. We have been told that sometimes, siblings can bond with each other more than they bond with you.
- Why is Rosie bigger? Kai, Ruby and Lani are crossed with Toy Poodles; Rosie is crossed with a miniature poodle.
We chose the Cavapoo as a breed because it suited us in many ways, however, I would always be wary of an attempt to label any dog as ‘The Perfect Dog’. There is no such thing. When choosing a dog, you must find a particular dog or breed that suits YOUR lifestyle.
And remember. Although our four are all the same cross; all the same age – they have four completely different personalities. Kai is shy and understated; ‘Princess’ Ruby is fussy and highly strung; Rosie loves EVERYTHIIIING!!!!! and Lani – she is a Mini Minx…
Here are some Key Cavapoo Characteristics;
- Intelligent – Poodles are one of the most intelligent breeds of dog, second only to the Border Collie. This makes them very easy to train. However, this does mean that Cavapoos need plenty of mental stimulation.
- Loving – Cavapoos are well known for their love of human company. They adore everyone and are generally good with kids. However, they are needy and suffer from separation anxiety, so they are not a good choice if your lifestyle requires you to leave them for long periods.
- Energetic – although they are small dogs and may not be as manic as some of the poodle crosses with working dogs, Cavapoos do need at least one hour of good exercise every day to keep them fit and happy. The nice thing about our Cavapoos is that after their walks, all they want to do is snuggle and cuddle rather than doing a wall-of-death around the caravan.
- Non-Shedding / Hypo-allergenic – are you sure? This is a trait derived from the Poodle. Since Cavapoos are a cross breed, there is no guarantee that the Poodle genes will be passed on. Some Cavapoos do shed and not all are hypoallergenic. Ours don’t shed on a day-to-day basis, but they do lose lots of hair when we groom them.
- Regular Grooming Required – Cavapoos need regular grooming. We comb ours about twice a week. Since we are on a budget, we groom them ourselves, however, if you want this done professionally, expect to pay approximately £40 per dog per session.
- Mucky Pups – Cavapoos just love water and exploring muddy puddles. If you don’t want your house full of sand, sea water and mud, Cavapoos might not be for you!
For a comprehensive guide to the breed, click here.
Please also consider this heartbreaking cautionary tail; A Must Read Warning for Future Doodle Owners
Where Can I Find a Cavapoo?
- Sylmyl Cockapoos – the breeder from whom we bought our little Kai. Although Sylvia specialises in Cockapoos, she has the occasional litter of Cavapoos. I would not hesitate to recommend Sylmyl.
- Adopting a Cavapoo – not all dogs who require a re-home are problem dogs. The main dog re-homing charities, such as Battersea, the RSPCA or Dogs Trust will get the occasional Cavapoo, however there are a couple of charities who specialise in re-homing Doodles (Poodle Crosses.)
- The Doodle Trust – matches Doodles with Forever Homes. The website also offers advice and information on whether a Doodle is for you and how to look after them. TDT is also currently looking for temporary, foster homes.
- Doodle Aid – re-homes and fosters Doodles. They are looking for volunteers and fund raisers to help their work.
- Facebook – there are a couple of specific doodle-rehoming groups on Facebook.
There is no doubt that a healthy, happy Cavapoo is a wonderful companion but just be aware that although they are Practically Perfect, there is no such thing as a Universally Perfect Pooch!
If you would like to catch up on our adventures for the last couple of years, my books Fur Babies in France – From Wage Slaves to Living the Dream ; Dog on the Rhine – From Rat Race to Road Trip ; Dogs ‘n’ Dracula – A Road Trip to Romania and Pups on Piste – A Ski Season in Italy follow the fortunes of The Travelling Cavapoos.
They have all received 5-Star reviews and are available as eBooks or Paperbacks on Amazon via the links above.