We bought a Snooper Ventura caravan/motorhome-specific Sat Nav to guide us on our travels.
We have got rid of most of our possessions, but this is one of the last things that we would ever give up!
Unlike a normal car Sat Nav, you program in the length and height of your vehicle or rig. The Snooper can save the dimensions of multiple vehicles. A single button at start up allows you to select which vehicle (eg ‘Caravan 1’ or ‘Motorhome 1’) or if you are not towing, ‘Car’ mode.
In ‘Caravan’ or ‘Motorhome’ mode, the Snooper plans routes to avoid low bridges, narrow or winding roads and will even avoid extremely tight turns, routing you around a nearby roundabout or some such where necessary. It gives you pre-warning of hazards such as areas prone to cross-winds, steep gradients and sharp bends.
It has full European mapping, covering over 30 countries, with free map updates ‘for life.’ Thousands of campsites are pre-programmed in, with full contact details, an indication of cost and often, even a picture. You can program the Snooper to avoid toll ways (and ferries – something that caught us out on the rivers in Germany!)
- We tour Europe almost full-time and the Snooper has proved invaluable. I have found it easy to use; a minor quirk is that, unlike ACSI and many other groups of campsites, which are on the top level menu, the UK C&CC and C&MC sites are hidden away in the ‘Points of Interest’ menu. Go figure!
- We have had a couple of occasions where the programmed-in campsite locations were not completely accurate. 99% of the time, navigation has been flawless. The other 1% gives me material for my blog! (See Happy with our Lot at the River Café and Argenton sur Creuse – A Hold Up with a Hairpin!)
- We did have a technical problem with our first Snooper. On our return to the UK, the screen froze intermittently for a month or so before locking completely. We contacted Snooper and received a brand new replacement within 2 days. They had clearly dispatched the new Sat Nav before they had even received the unit that we returned. The replacement has worked reliably now for over a year. Problems happen, but how a company deals with problems speaks volumes.
- The Snooper was recommended by the Camping and Caravan Club (C&CC) at the time we bought it. We received a discount when we purchased through C&CC.
- The Snooper made the ‘Best Sat Nav’ list because of “its superior build quality, massive TV-ready screen, and its processing speed, which is second to none in the Sat Nav world.”
- UK Campsite also has a review and details on its website.
Clearly, other Sat Navs are available. From experience, however, I would not hesitate to recommend the Snooper to any caravan or motorhome user.