We have wasted a fortune buying the wrong doggie coats!
In the first of my December gift guides, I am going to preview 10 of the best doggie coats. A number of these are The Fab Four’s favourites and I can heartily recommend them, since they have been very well tried and tested on our travels.
This selection will keep your fur family snug, cool, clean, dry, afloat, healthy – and I have added a couple just for fun!
Prices are correct at the time of writing.
The Best For Warmth
1. Equafleece – After much research, we bought Equafleece Polartec™ fleece dog suits and can’t speak too highly of them! 100% rainproof, breathable, warm and washable, the suits are made to be a good fit, with a ‘slim’ option available that is suitable for Doodles. They cover most of the dog, to keep off mud or prevent snow from balling up on all but the lower legs, lower belly and backside (which have to remain uncovered to allow for calls of nature.) This is The Fab Four’s third full ski season and their Equafleeces still look like new! Prices for the full suit start at £28 with free delivery in the UK. (Shipping abroad is available.)
2. Hugo and Hudson Puffer Jacket – Hugo and Hudson are luxury pet outfitters from London, who offer a lovely range of Dog Puffer Coats and Quilted Jackets in nine sizes and a selection of five colours. With five star reviews all the way, they not only look fabulous but keep your dog warm and dry too. Price £34 – with free UK delivery on orders over £35. Free delivery on all Ruff and Tumble super-absorbent dog drying coats and mitts.
For a further selection of practical dog coats in different styles, click here.
The Best for Mud and Waterproofing
3. Hurtta Slush Combat Suit – with sizes from Chihuahua to Great Dane, the Slush Combat Suit is a premium quality, all-in-one suit which covers head to tail and all four legs, while still allowing for calls of nature. The material is strong, light, windproof, waterproof and dirt repellent, with a leash opening in the back. A two way zip makes the suit easy to put on and take off. Three of The Fab Four have these for muddy walks, or as an extra layer over their Equafleeces. (Ruby has a long back and fell between Hurtta’s sizes, but we found a solution… see below.) Prices from £47.99 – £55.99 with free delivery options on orders over £29.00.
4. Hand Made Waterproof Suit – hand made to measure by a small, private business, these nylon suits are very affordable, come in bright colours and have received great feedback from users. If your dog wears a harness, the harness goes over the top of the suit. Delivery is usually a couple of days, but depends on volume, since each suit is made to order. Cost – £30 plus £3 for UK delivery. Please email Larysa on email@example.com for further details and to order.
The Best To Keep Cool
5. Ruffwear Swamp Cooler Cooling Vest – Dogs are very prone to heat exhaustion, since they do not sweat. They lose heat primarily by panting. Certain breeds suffer the effects of heat more than others; short-nosed dogs, such as pugs and bulldogs cannot lose heat as efficiently through panting. Older or overweight dogs, or breeds adapted to cold climates, such as huskies, will also struggle to adjust to high temperatures.
A great solution is a cooling vest. Cooling vests are soaked with water and can be re-wetted while in use. Composed of special materials, they then accelerate the rate of evaporation, which is the principle behind refrigeration. Some also reflect sunlight to help keep your dog cool. In order to get the maximum cooling effect, it is important that the cooling vest is a very good fit.
The Ruffwear Swamp Cooler is one of the best cooling vests on the market. It has a three-layer design, which uses wicking, evaporation and heat reflection to keep your dog cool. A more lightweight and slightly more affordable option is the Ruffwear Jet Stream, which has a webbing back and cools only the dog’s chest. The Jet Stream is the better choice for a more active dog. The Hurtta Cooling Vest also gets excellent reviews; it is well-priced and has a shorter design, which gives a better fit for some dogs.
The Best Flotation Device
6. Outward Hound Doggie Lifejacket – essential if, like us, you like to take your Pups on SUPs or float your Fido in any other way. This lifejacket is available in several sizes and is very reasonably priced. It has the essential handle on the back to lift your pooch out of the water, strong clips and a chin float to keep your Fur Baby’s head above water, even if he is tired or hits his head. The bright colours are easy for you and other water users to spot. At the time of writing, this jacket was reduced from £22.14 to £9.22 with free UK delivery.
The Best Dog Drying Coats
7. Ruff and Tumble Dog Drying Coats and Robes – Tired of smelly towels or the stench of wet dog? These bestselling coats wick and absorb moisture to dry your pup quickly. They are a brilliant way to make sure that what happens outside stays outside! From £26 with free delivery on all Ruff and Tumble products.
The Best Post Operative Recovery & Rehab Suit
8. Suitical Post-Operative Recovery Suit – a bestselling and more comfortable alternative to The Cone of Shame, it comes in a variety of sizes, from Chihuahua to St Bernard. The Recovery Suit protects wounds, bandages, hot spots, skin conditions and can be used with incontinence products. Lightweight and breathable, the four-way stretch fabric, acts like a second skin for maximum protection. Poppers allow for calls of nature without removing the suit. We wished that we had found this suit earlier – when the pups were spayed as well as on those occasions when we have had a sick puppy on our travels. Prices from £17.45 plus delivery if applicable.
And Just for Fun!
9. Matching Dog and Human Onesies – with a choice of Christmas reindeer, bears or plaid, with items to fit you, the kids. the dog and the cat (with a back flap for, well. You know!) you can really cut a family dash this Christmas. It is so electric, I am not even going to add a picture. Click if you dare. It will blow your mind…
10. Dog Coat with Santa Riding! – C’mon. Who doesn’t want one of these?! with five star reviews, it is available in a variety of sizes.
- Unlimited, FREE One-Day Delivery on millions of items
- Watch over 15,000 movies and TV episodes with unlimited instant streaming
- Borrow from thousands of titles from the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library
- Secure, unlimited photo storage with anywhere access
- Listen to over 2 million songs on Prime Music
If you enjoy my blog, please like and share to help me spread the World Wide Walkies word!
Check out my Gifts section if you want to find more pawsome pressies.
Please note that this blog contains Affiliate Links. If you click through on these links and make a purchase, I receive a small commission. This does not affect your purchase or the price that you pay in any way, but helps me to cover my website costs.
My priority is to recommend the very best products or ones that we use, regardless of whether there is any benefit to me, so the items featured are not necessarily affiliate products.
Articles that we use were all purchased with our own money and any recommendations represent my own, honest opinion.
To see a full list of my affiliate suppliers and the reason why I selected them, please click here.
Useful? Please share on Pinterest!