In Lockdown? Learn A Language Free At Home
On Tuesday 24th March 2020, the UK followed many other countries around the world and went into lockdown. With so many of us forced to find a way to cope with isolation, I hope to offer you some ideas, support and puppy love from Mark, myself and The Fab Four.
I was privileged to make a contribution to this article on learning a language, published on the excellent website, TravelAwaits; ‘A website by the 50+ Traveller for the 50+ Traveller.’
Please click the link to find out more about…
Why Learn A Language?
Aside from being proven to boost brain power, enhance memory and look good on your CV or resumé, what did learning a language ever do for us?
- It makes travel more fun – simple things like being able to order a drink or dinner, ask directions or find the loo makes travel much easier and more enjoyable. But it will also enhance your interactions with locals, who will appreciate your efforts – even if only to say, “Sorry I can’t speak русский!”
- It will help you to be more than just a tourist – a little local knowledge can go a long way. Chatting to locals is the quickest route to finding that hidden gem of a restaurant, the quiet beach that no-one knows about – or just having a rewarding and memorable conversation, which might incorporate sign language, pidgin phrases and drawings.
- It will help you to understand the culture – most anthropologists would agree that you can never understand a culture fully without understanding the language. The fact that Inuit have over 100 words for snow – actually that is a myth, but you get my drift! (Sorry, couldn’t resist!)
- It will help to get around and stay out of trouble – it can keep you from getting lost, understand road signs and aid communication with vets or medics, as we have had to do on numerous occasions with The Fab Four.
- It will help you to make new friends!
- Oh, and did I mention. It’s FUN!
For a few other ideas, please don’t forget to check out my own blog; 10 Tips to Make Covid-19 Isolation SPLENDID! – Tip Number 4 being; use this time get planning for your next adventure…
For some further inspiration in this direction, why not browse TravelAwaits’ ‘Activities and Interest’ section, their excellent round up of ‘Types of Travel ‘ – including a few ‘Bucket List Tours’ to whet your travel appetite – or simply take 38 Virtual Tours and Webcams You Can Enjoy From Home Any Time.