Jacqueline Lambert’s book Dogs ‘n’ Dracula – A Road Trip Through Romania has received a Chill With A Book PREMIER Readers’ Award, which “is only honoured to books that receive exceptional high evaluations.”
Described in one of many 5* Amazon reviews as ‘Armchair Travel Delight’, Dogs ‘n’ Dracula is Jacqueline’s third book in her Adventure Caravanning with Dogs series of humorous true-life memoirs. The books follow her and husband Mark’s journey since giving up work to live their dreams by touring full time in a caravan with four dogs. Dogs ‘n’ Dracula follows their misadventures in Romania.
Author Pauline Barclay set up the Chill Awards in 2016 to shine a light on well-written stories by independent authors. Readers in the UK, Spain, and the USA evaluated Dogs ‘n’ Dracula against the criteria of being a well-written page turner, with strong, engaging characters, a satisfying ending, and whether they would recommend it to fans of the book’s genre. Below are some of their comments:
Chill With A Book Reviewers’ Comments
“What a fun book, thoroughly entertaining. And very witty; I laughed out loud many times. Ms. Lambert has a delightful writing style, poised and confident.”
“… not only an adventure for the author, but for the reader too … it was as if I was sitting next to them.”
“I really enjoyed this book, the experience in each town, the tales of (the dogs) The Fab Four, Blade’s* story, the food, and culture, it was a complete insight into a country I knew nothing about … Do I now want to buy a motor home and have an adventure? Yes!!”
Chill Awards Reader Panel
*A Street Dog Named Blade is my chapter in the anthology 40 LIfe Changing Events edited by Robert Fear. It is based on the story told in Dogs ‘n’ Dracula about how we adopted a stray dog in Transylvania and brought him back to England.
Other Awards for Dogs ‘n’ Dracula
In its first year of publication (2019), Dogs ‘n’ Dracula was a finalist in The Romania Insider Awards for ‘The Best Promotion of Romania Abroad’. Prince Charles, who has a special connection to Romania (which is revealed in the book), and the British Ambassador in Romania were presented with a copy. Jacqueline was invited to the award ceremony in Bucharest, Romania, but was unable to attend.
Book Blurb – About Dogs ‘n’ Dracula
Have you ever thought about giving up work to escape into the wide, blue yonder? Jackie and Mark Lambert did just that. They rented out their house and took off in a caravan with ‘The Fab Four’ – their four Cavapoos (Cavalier/Poodle cross) Kai, Rosie, Ruby, and Lani. With windsurf boards strapped to their roof, they struck south for Spain and Portugal, but decided to turn left…
According to The Spectator, Romania is “Europe’s most overlooked holiday destination.”
According to everyone else, it was somewhere where they would be robbed, scammed, kidnapped by gypsies, eaten by bears or attacked by wild dogs and wolves – if they managed to avoid the floods and riots.
This is the story of how they towed their caravan through the largest untouched wilderness in Europe; packed with history and a culture that has remained unchanged for millennia. They adopted a Romanian orphan, discovered Romania’s El Dorado, the British Royal Family’s Dracula connections and crossed the Carpathian Mountains via one of the world’s most dangerous roads, guided by a satnav haunted by a revenge complex more pathological than Vlad the Impaler’s.
With a good few surprises on the way, Dogs ‘n’ Dracula is a tale of adventure, packed with history, humour, and the exploration of lesser-known parts of one of Europe’s more obscure destinations.
Based on Jackie’s travel blog, www.worldwidewalkies.com Dogs ‘n’ Dracula is the true story of their third year on wheels with Kismet and ‘Big Blue’ – their trusty tow vehicle (and toy box) – a Hyundai iLoad panel van.
Reviews of Dogs ‘n’ Dracula
Dogs ‘n’ Dracula has received many five star reviews on Amazon and Goodreads.
- Armchair Travel Delight – I love the writing style Ms Lambert has. It is almost as if you are sitting, enjoying coffee, while you listen to her vacation stories.
- Inspirational and hilarious – I am completely hooked on Jackie’s tales… I had never thought about taking a caravan to Romania but we are eagerly planning our trip. Keep these books coming!
- Another great read – This is a fantastic, fabulously written series, 100% recommended.
- Romania is now very much in my sights – Brilliantly evokes the highs and lows of camping across Europe, whilst painting pictures of places unknown in such a vivid palette that they immediately become ‘must visit’ destinations.
- Another lovely tail – Once again, once started, difficult to put down.
In addition, here are some editorial reviews from book bloggers:
- “A Delightful Book about the Nomad Lifestyle” – Click HERE for a full editorial review on the Gum Trees & Galaxies blog
- “This is a very well-written and lovely book. I laughed, gasped, gazed and sighed with them throughout.” Click HERE for a full editorial review by award-winning author Valerie Poore
Read An Excerpt!
About the Author
Jacqueline (Jackie) Lambert is a dedicated doggie travel blogger and author. With adventure in her blood, BC (Before Canines) she rafted, rock-climbed and backpacked around six of the seven continents. A passionate windsurfer and skier, she can fly a plane, has been bitten by a lion and appeared as a fire-eater on Japanese TV. Some of her exploits are showcased in various anthologies, including Alyson Sheldrake’s Travel Stories series.
Her series of lighthearted memoirs, Adventure Caravanning with Dogs, follows Jackie and husband Mark’s misadventures AD (After Dog) – since they gave up work and decided to Live the Dream by touring Europe full-time in a caravan with four pooches.
Their aim: To Boldly Go Where No Van Has Gone Before.
They are currently at large in a self-converted six-wheel army lorry.
When not travelling, Jackie, and Mark live in Bournemouth, on the sunny south coast of England.
All of Jacqueline’s books are available as eBook and Paperback on Amazon.co.uk and other worldwide Amazon stores. The paperbacks are available from Waterstones.com. The eBook costs £2.99 to download and the paperbacks cost £7.99.
- Year 1 – Fur Babies in France – From Wage Slaves to Living the Dream is the first book in the Adventure Caravanning with Dogs series.
- Dog on the Rhine – From Rat Race to Road Trip
- Dogs ‘n’ Dracula – A Road Trip Through Romania
- It Never Rains But It Paws – A Road Trip Through Politics And A Pandemic
- Pups on Piste – A Ski Season in the Italian Alps
By following Jackie’s Author Page, you can find out about her adventurous past in crocodile-infested waters and be kept updated on her forthcoming book releases.
Why Wait for Christmas?!
Why not treat yourself to a good read now?!
Dogs ‘n’ Dracula in the Press
- Van Life Matters online magazine
Below – The Fab Four at Corvin Castle, Transylvania.